So, the summary of all prospective entrepreneur’s quest culminates in one final search – how much does a business app cost? As this is another form of generalization, there is no fixed or straightforward answer. It depends on many factors and parameters. That’s like asking how much will it cost to build a house – it depends on which kind of house you are building, is it a modular, fancy new age automation supported house or it will be simple and functionality driven house? A modest house in the Midwest costs a lot less to build than a modest house in Palo Alto. Analogies apart, app development is more or less the same business – you get what you pay for. We can help ballpark the figure and expenses for you – contact us via quote request form or go to contact us page.
Let’s take a look at some, if not all, of the key factors that actively influence the cost in a typical app development project:
of App and Purpose
- Which kind of app you look forward for your business – A simple informative app or an interactive business app?
- Are you planning to make the app public or limited to internal users? Because enterprise app cost and normal app cost may differ widely.
- Do you look forward to monetizing something from the app?
Depending on types, you can easily arrive upon the purpose and can have a good explanation for the stakeholder. Following are the popular app types:
Educational, Travel, Healthcare, e-Commerce, Games, Interactive, Social Media etc.
Features & Functionality
It is important to decide what functionality and features you are going to include in the app. Ensure to include only those features that add some value to end user experience and not for the novelty factors. Few points to consider while shortlisting between feature rich and functionality rich apps:
- A simple informative app with goal of educating users will certainly cost less than an interactive app which requires to communicate with the users real-time and provide results.
- There are other different type of features and functionalities, which can be added to an app based on the requirement but you need to be considerate about them.
All these factors might seem small at first but they are the key to a balanced and cost-effective app development. Knowing the purpose of having an app beforehand is very important as based on the purpose, a good developer can figure out the functionality for you. Also read – whatever you do, Don’t Pay to Train an App Developer. For help on finding a developer, see our post on Finding a Developer for Your App Idea.
Types and Platforms
Mobile platforms have come a long way from monopoly of Symbian OSes of early 2000 to polished contenders like Android, iOS and Windows. Not just in types of OSes, but device lists – tablets, notebooks, smart wearable and health tracker devices. Following graph tells the story better:
- Android wearable devices, tablets have seen steady growth while smartphone growth has been increasing consistently.
- With around 82% of market share of smartphones, Android is still the market leader and iOS (Apple) comes a distant second with 18% of devices in the market.
- Other platforms have negligible presence hence have been excluded from the study.
- Wi-fi phones have increased in numbers and hence pose a challenge for the developers to include the native source codes into the app development modules to consider an all-round compatibility of the apps across all the architectures.
|Operating System||4Q16 Units||4Q16 Market Share(%)||4Q15 Units||4Q15 Market Share(%)|
As apparent from the above graphic, an app having existence on both iOS and Android platform will get the maximum traction in market but will also require increased cost of app development and maintenance on both platforms.
Also, the mobile app development is dependent on areas you are looking forward to serving – like if you think that in future you app can gain a good traction on wearable devices platform, your app will be developed accordingly or you can get the features later on during over the air updates sessions.
and User Interface
“Fatter you go, more you need. Lesser you need, farther you go. Go far, not fat.”
It gets incredibly tiring on justifying the inclusion and exclusion of app features according to the devices area you wish to serve. For example, a business in real estate will be better off with mobile as well as tablet design since most of the real estate brokers carry tablets to show off the pictures of the estate they pitch in the market. Many enthusiastic business persons go for the kill at the very beginning – they try to make the app feature wise and look wise as perfect as it can get. While it is good for initial traction, over the long run of the app, the users only remain interested in the value add offered by the app while ignoring the snazzy and fancy transitions and effects. If there is no value add by the app for the users, they will let go of it. This is where the tide turns against the entrepreneurs – they have to bear the cost of app development initially which they cannot sustain in the long run and hence have to cut down on the features gradually. This makes the end users be fearful and spooked about the near future outlook of the app as well as of the company.
Following chart, gives out a handy details of which area’s end users use the mobile devices most vs other areas:
|Device/Email Client Usage||Webmail||Mobile||Desktop|
|Automobiles & Transportation||29%||52%||19%|
|Bank & Financial Services||39%||36%||31%|
|Computer Hardware & Telecommunications||42%||28%||31%|
|Computer Software & Online Services||23%||33%||45%|
|Food Service, Sports & Entertainment||29%||57%||14%|
|Hospitals, Healthcare & Biotech||17%||55%||28%|
|Industrial Manufacturing & Utilities||25%||42%||32%|
|Lodging, Travel Agencies & Services||39%||41%||19%|
|Marketing Agencies & Services||28%||54%||18%|
|Media & Publishing||30%||51%||19%|
|Nonprofits, Associations & Government||28%||45%||27%|
|Real Estates, Constructions & Building Products||25%||49%||26%|
|Retail & Ecommerce||28%||49%||23%|
|Schools & Education||37%||41%||22%|
Hence, it all boils down to your requirement and purpose. Mobile being the integral part of most people’s life, you need to be judicious to make a decision of targeting that very segment where your leads lie around. Targeting and pitching to a segment requires great use of user interface, however you should keep following points in mind while designing and approving a UI:
- Simplistic – The UI of the app can be appealing only if it is feature rich and with simple appeal. While this is not to discourage you from having top notch design patterns in your app, be mindful that more than 43% of smartphones are of medium spec segment – they may experience performance issues and decreased UI experience.
- Also, including heavy graphics based animations not only makes your app heavier but also makes the minimum requirement to run the app go higher in a spec-bound smartphone market where price is still considered a crucial factor while performance comes a distant second
An app development calculator is a simulated and automatic app calculator program which is helpful to get you know the nearest prices for the app you want to develop without pestering human sales interferences. To have a brief idea of the app development cost, you can take a look at App Development Calculator.
An App Development Calculator is an easy to use and near accurate simulated cost estimator which shows you the cost involved in getting an app developed and shows you the cost which you should be prepared to bear.
- It considers all the factors such as type of platform, UI style, user profile types (social media or indigenous), access controls, app monetization (if you want some earnings) and whole lot of other features and evaluates the prevailing market rates of development of individual modules geography wise.
- It also keeps on updating the real-time prices based on the recent project costs incurred as available on its internal project allocation database.
- At the end, gives out a near accurate figure which you can easily rely on to plan well in ahead for the development charges.
To sum it all, saving money on the front end could end up costing you more in the end Our set of experienced network of app development companies can help you in getting best quote for your iphone, ipad and android apps. All you need to do is to fill our quote request form and 3 best mobile apps companies will contact you as per your budget that fits your needs or visit our contact us page.
The only sure way to find out what it will cost to get your app idea developed is to get some quotes from experienced app developers. They can discuss the details of your idea with you and give you a pretty good idea of what it will cost. Getting three quotes is helpful as it will give you an idea if a quote is too high (or too low, which can be just as bad). Zeniamobiles will help you in getting ball park quotes from 3 highly experienced top-rated app development companies from our wide range of network through filling our Quote Request Form.