Trends in healthcare and medical apps

Trends in healthcare and medical apps

Medical and health apps continue to be hot.  In January 2011, The New York Times reported there were over 17,000 health-related mobile apps, many of which are aimed at health care professionals.  This report was based on data from research2guidance, which the New York Times article noted forecast the number of users of mobile health services would reach 500 million by 2015. recently published an article by Michael Shaw about mobile health apps.  Among the data discussed in the article was the variety of mobile health apps currently available.  Here’s the mix reported by Mr. Shaw, with the market share for each:

  • Calorie counting                60 percent
  • Cardiovascular fitness       20 percent
  • Strength training                 9 percent
  • Sleep improvement             7 percent

These categories, which make up 96 percent of the available health-related apps, are directed primarily at consumers.  What’s interesting is the other 4 percent, which includes apps used by doctors and other healthcare professionals to provide patient care., an online publication written by doctors and medical students, published in December 2010 a list of the top 20 free iPhone apps for health care professionals.  Their number one choice?  Medscape, which has over 7,000 drug references, over 3,500 disease references, and over 2,500 images and videos.  Here’s a link to’s full review of Medscape.

Smartphone apps are changing the way medicine is practiced.  Twenty years ago one might have joked about a radiologist diagnosing a broken bone over the telephone while on vacation.  Not anymore.  In an article titled “Medicine on the Move,” The Wall Street Journal reported this week that the FDA recently approved a new smartphone app from MIM Software that allows doctors to look at MRI and CT results – using their mobile devices.  Here’s a link to MIM Software’s page for its Mobile MIM app.  That same WSJ article discussed AirStrip OB, a mobile app that allows physicians to review, on their smartphones, real-time data, both for women in labor and their unborn children.  AirStrip also has apps used by physicians to monitor cardiac and other data remotely.  Here’s a link for more information about AirStrip’s apps.

We’ve been interested in health-related apps for a long time.  In fact, one of the early apps developed through our network of mobile app developers was MaculaTester, an iPhone app used to test for age-related macular degeneration. A physician came up with the idea for MaculaTester.  Read about his experience finding a developer here.

If you have an idea for a medical or health-related app and need a developer, visit one of our quote sites to get three free development quotes from experienced US-based developers.

App Cost Calculator

Use our calculator to know about App development cost. Building an App with Basic Features cost between $700 to $2500. Building an app with High complex features ranges between $5000 to $25000, which gives a great opportunity for Startups and Entrepreneurs. Calculate Now

Question to Ask?

Don’t get messed by uncultured mobile app developers. Finding a right developer, who knows how to create functional apps is really important. Read our article to know about 10 questions you MUST ask, before hiring an app developer for your business. Read 10 Questions Guide

Quote Request Form


“Working with Appmuse has always been a great experience. Besides that, they provided important pre – requisite steps & information before finalizing any mobile app agency or freelancer. 2 mobile app agency and 1 freelancer contacted us. We interviewed all of them, ask important list of questions. Really, all were highly experienced and talented. Finally, we hired a mobile app agency for our iOS & Android app work for a hide n hunt app. Excited & releasing soon“.

Denis Tutaka
CEO @ HideNHunt, Auckland, NZ

“ We were stucked in between with half of the work completed from one of the freelancer. Initially, it looked like we won’t get any help here. But with the help of Appmuse, when multiple App Agencies contacted us, first they set up sprints & milestones for job completion, rather asking for any upfront payments. After achieving every milestone, we send them payments for their job done. A great and satisfying model to work on. Highly Recommended!! “

Dr Reginald Newsome
CEO @ iSpine Inc., Dallas, TX.
Quote Request Form

We build technology rich mobile app that make business sense.

We use latest technologies and methodologies to create best User Experience.

We provide 24 X 7 extensive support for our customers. Would you like to connect?

PHP Code Snippets Powered By :